June 20-21, 2018
Cross Village, Michigan
Imaginative Explorations with Vellum, Precious Metals, Gesso and More
You gotta love how photography constantly morphs, presenting new ways to combine hardware, materials and methods. In this workshop you’ll dive headfirst into the magical world of translucent paper, hand-applied gold leaf, palladium leaf, silver leaf, gesso and more — all combined with archival inkjet printing. Learn how to create prints with the look, feel and intrigue of handmade prints without the expense and hassle of a wet darkroom. Combine the best of archival inkjet printing with the charm of the handmade print!
- Explore the beauty and intrigue of translucent vellum.
- Discover tantalizing ways to blend gold, palladium copper and other metals.
- Experience the joy of hand-applied gesso, making your highlights glow.
- Brushing, grinding, and rubbing will become your new go-to skills.
- Grasp easy but powerful Photoshop skills to fine-tune your images.
- Learn how to identify image problems before you hit Print. Dan’s “diagnose and treat” approach will save you time, paper and disappointment as you learn how to make prints you’ll be proud to display, share and sell.
This workshop lets you bask in the hand-applied world of voluptuous paper, magical precious metals, mica powders, archival varnish and opaque gesso to create lasting works of art.
A lab feewill be charged to cover the papers, inks, precious metals and other neat stuff used in this printing-intensive workshop.
Participants should bring a laptop with Photoshop installed (CS6 or later). Make sure you have enough RAM, storage space, etc. so Photoshop runs smoothly. Also bring a USB thumb drive (4GB or larger recommended) for easy transfer of images as we print them. Don’t forget all your chargers and cables too.
Please bring an 11” X 14” portfolio box for safe transport of your finished prints. A “Preparing for Class” letter with more details will be sent to participants shortly before class. Remember, both color and monochromatic images benefit from these exciting printing techniques.